Tuesday 11 January 2011

New Year's Fash-o-Lutions

 We've had  over a week now of hearing what everyone intends to give or take up this year. It's the usual lists of detoxing, dieting, getting fitter, spending less, reeling it in etc etc. I know I couldn't commit to such life changing restrictions, especially as its the most depressing and boring month of the year. Although, when thinking of what fashion and beauty changes I would like to make this year, they do run almost to a 'resolution' style of listing. Firstly, since I am fed up of seeing the ubiquitous Victoria Beckham lauded weekly in what was one of my favourite magazines I have decided to ditch my subscription to Grazia magazine and find an alternative fashion read. Perhaps its now time to return to the good old monthly magazines or even the seasonal titles like Lula or Self Service, since this type of magazine suit the mood of current fashion too. Weekly magazines became popular as style buys were being consumed as quickly as if they were the fast food fashion equivalent.  Now that we are in a recession, limited fashion shopping budgets are spent on wiser purchases with a longer shelf life. So, first on the list goes a browse around Selfridges magazine department to find a new magazine that will influence and inspire me.  
As does a leisurely afternoon testing perfumes at Liberty's fragrance room. As much as I love the smell of Escentric Molecules No1 on myself, my clothes and around my bedroom. I cannot abide the smell of it on other people, as a pang of jealousy surrounds me to think that others have discovered this gem of a perfume. And especially as said people are middle class, middle aged women with more money than sense (or scents)  I don't know who started it among their tribe, but they are all reeking of it lately...Oh dear Tom Ford must be missing their custom since they have gravitated away from his Black Orchid (another old favourite of mine ruined by over-saturation from same said demographic group)  
Gosh, I am damning everyone today! Therefore fans of Kate Moss should stop reading now if they've had enough of my opinions. Third on my list is to ditch looks popularised by her in the mid to late noughties. So out go ballerina pumps, giant expensive handbags hooked on the crook of the arm and skinny jeans ( and yes I say 'popularised' - she didn't invent skinny jeans or be the first to wear any of that look. There were a gaggle of fashionistas , myself included who were wearing them a good five seasons before whilst ,she was still in her boot cuts) For about a year now I have been wearing high waisted denim flares, given to me by a fashion forward friend as a replacement to ankle hugging skinny jeans. And I shall be giving them airing again this year.
Wow, a list of attainable resolutions I will actually want to fulfilll. Now, time for that large glass of wine......

No comments:

Post a Comment